Dyslexia InfoDyslexia is...
- a brain-based issue that makes it hard to learn to read accurately and fluently
- a lifelong condition- kids don't outgrow dyslexia, but with the right support, key skills can improve
- a common learning issue- many successful people have it- 1 in 5 people have dyslexia
- a problem of intelligence- kids with dyslexia are just as smart as their peers
- a problem of vision- the core issue is in understanding how the sounds in words are represented by letters
- a problem of laziness- kids with dyslexia are already trying hard, they need more help to maintain progress
Kids with dyslexia may have trouble with...
- Poor handwriting
- Learning a foreign language
- Decoding (sounding out) written words
- Understanding what they read
- Solving word problems in math
- Recognizing common sounds (sight words)
- Reading smoothly
Ways to help kids with dyslexia...
- Assistive Technology- tools like audiobooks and text-to-speech apps
- Accommodations- help kids show what they know, like doing an oral report instead of a written one
- Multisensory structured literacy instruction engages kids through sight, hearing, movement and touch